Author Topic: Distribution coefficients?  (Read 4899 times)

Offline brrmek

Distribution coefficients?
« on: March 11, 2011, 03:48 PM »
Hi, I was thinking of a nice feature to have in the e!Sankey sw. A possibilty to work with a list containing distribution coefficients on a process output flows. This is easy obtained in excel but having this in the model would make it only necessary to add one flow and the rest calculated based on the distribution.

Something for v.3?

/M

Offline pbeilschmidt

• Administrator
  • e!Sankey - show the flow.
    • Umberto - know the flow.
Re: Distribution coefficients?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 02:31 PM »
What exactly do you mean? Are you refering to a mathematical distribution function? It would be helpful if you could elaborate on this feature request a little more. Thanks
Peter Müller-Beilschmidt
e!Sankey Forum Moderator
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline brrmek

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 02:03 PM »
Hi, I actually meant that when describing a chemical process where you add different amount of elements into a reaction the result will be tha the different compunds distribute in e.g. different phases, gas, solid or liquid phase.

2 CuFeS2 + 2 O2 = Cu2S + 2 FeO + SO2

A sankey on this formula would be looking into the different components, Cu, Fe, S and O, to se how they e.g. distribute between gas and solid/liqiud phase. 2 moles of oxygen distributes into gas (sulphur dioxide) and solid FeO. In this case the distribution coefficient wolud be 0.5 e.g. ratio between system input versus system output into gas phase.

Hopefully I made the idea with a distribution coefficient a little more clear. With the coefficient I would only address the input amount and the distribution coefficient instead of input amount and output amount. Solid phae would be gas phase - distribution coefficient multiplied with input amount.

Setting this up the sankey diagram would be redrawn directly when you alter input amount.

Offline pbeilschmidt

• Administrator
  • e!Sankey - show the flow.
    • Umberto - know the flow.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 03:13 PM »
Hello brrmek,

thanks for the clarification ... now I understand better?

Your feature request relates to a calculation feature at a process node. e!Sankey is a mere visualization tool, so the main application is to visualize existing flow data.

The functionality you are refering to is available in our material and energy flow software Umberto, a fully fledged modeling tool that allows to calculate flows in a process system from the process specification (in your case the chemical process), and the resulting in/out flows. Umberto also has a graphical editor for building process systems, and the possibility to display the flows as Sankey diagrams.

Should you need more information on this modeling tool, please visit www.Umberto.de
Peter Müller-Beilschmidt
e!Sankey Forum Moderator
ifu Hamburg GmbH