Author Topic: Process Input/Output Order  (Read 3807 times)

Offline chrjstone

Process Input/Output Order
« on: May 31, 2013, 11:59 PM »
Hi again, first off I'd like to thank you for adding gradients to e!Sankey. I returned to my job after being at school for the year and was really pleased to see the feature I requested had been added. As you guys seem to be receptive to these suggestions I wanted to make another: that the order that flows connect to processes may be changed. When there are multiple entries on flows, clicking on a flow will show the list of entries on that flow so that their position in the flow can be rearranged by clicking the up or down arrows. Would a similar feature be possible for processes? If clicking on a process revealed the input/output flows so that their order could be rearranged just by clicking on arrows it would be really useful. I can use sorting by z-order to achieve the desired result, but this causes problems for flows down the road if I want them to be on a higher or lower layer elsewhere in the diagram. Example:

It would also be extremely useful if I could manually specify process locations (x and y coordinates). It is extremely difficult to get processes lined up perfectly unless they are the exact same height. I think that this would make it a lot easier to make perfectly straight flows, and would make diagrams much more professional looking. Even being able to specify the grid size would be useful. Thanks for your time.

Chris

Offline Jörn Zietz

• Administrator
Re: Process Input/Output Order
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 11:05 AM »
Hi Chris,

thank you for your commendation :-) It is also a great benefit for us getting direct feedback from users to help us improving e!Sankey.

I see the problem you are describing. When we were developing this feature, we thought sort order by angle and z-order would fit nearly all requirements to manipulate arrow sequence. In the meantime I had similar issues when drawing some diagrams. And I see that there are situations, where you have to decide between competing layout conceptions. So we will definitly discuss this when we are planning our next release. We need to find an easy to use way to differ between the process sides and to change the order or to edit both process side and index.

Would you like to increase or decrease grid width in e!Sankey? Do you want to enter process dimensions to get straight arrows in stacked arrow layout or also in single arrow layout? If you would like stacked arrows to be straight, you need know the arrow width in pixel, don't you?

Thank you very much for your feature ideas.

Best regards,
Jörn
Jörn Zietz
e!Sankey Team
ifu Hamburg GmbH