Author Topic: Improve Rich Text Formatting for Labels  (Read 5811 times)

Offline BFreeman

Improve Rich Text Formatting for Labels
« on: August 21, 2013, 01:36 AM »
Most of the diagrams I create are to illustrate chemical processes and most of the streams in these diagrams are chemical and/or gas mass flow rates.  I would really like to be able to subscript and superscript individual characters in labels and stream entity names; e.g. H2O where the 2 is subscripted. 

Thank you.

Offline Jörn Zietz

• Administrator
Re: Improve Rich Text Formatting for Labels
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 10:16 AM »
Hello BFreeman,

thank you for your feature request. We are aware of this lack, but have not decided how to implement this feature so far. We could e.g. allow the user to paste (or enter) html code to a desription. The default layout of the subscript and superscript is not very nice (relative font size too large, distance of text lines increases in lines with sub/superscript). Another possibility may be to use rtf (rich text format, also used by Microsoft Wordpad) to add layout information to a text.

How would you like to enter format information resp. do the formating of the text? Do you need formating within e!Sankey or do you see another way? Entering html-code propably is not a suitable way.

Any idea how you would like to see this feature done would be very helpfull.

Best regards,
Jörn Zietz
Jörn Zietz
e!Sankey Team
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline BFreeman

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 06:07 PM »
My preference would be to keep the formatting within e!Sankey if at all possible.  I suspect that editing html-code might be a bit too much trouble for most users, myself included.  If rich text formatting with options similar to what is available in Microsoft Wordpad, as you suggested, I think that be an excellent addition.  I'm thinking that this improved formatting could be used on "Entry Names", Text labels, and Process labels. 

Thank you.

Offline Jörn Zietz

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 11:27 AM »
Hello BFreeman,

thank you for the explanation. This definitly would be the big solution :)
In "normal" windows controls (text boxes, labels, list boxes, combo boxes, check boxes...) i have not seen such special layout. As far as i know, it only can be done with own layout and painting. So entry names seem to be the larges issue. Layouted text which appears in diagrams is easier to implement.
I think it would be a very usefull improvement and added it to our feature requests. It will be discussed in our next version planning.
Thank you very much for your feedback.

Best regards,
Jörn Zietz
Jörn Zietz
e!Sankey Team
ifu Hamburg GmbH