Author Topic: Dynamic diagrams  (Read 3400 times)

Offline nickj

Dynamic diagrams
« on: October 21, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Good Day

(Firstly, apologies if this is a repeat message, I just clicked preview & my text disappeared so I am re-typing).

I have downloaded the trial version.  The target of ESankey appears to presume that you already know the inputs and outputs of the required diagram.

I want to be able to present transport flows but for any given set of data I do not know in advance the input and outputs.  For example, I want to be able to diagram the volume of cargo loaded in US Gulf, East US, West US, North Europe, Asia etc which has a destination of US Gulf, East US, West US, North Europe, Asia etc.  The source data would typically be in a spreadsheet derived from our ERP system with rows each having Loading area, Destination area and Tonnes carried.  The issue is that in any particular period of time, I would not know which of all the possible input and output areas are going to be present so the diagram needs to be generated dynamically.  Is this possible?

Thanks for any advice
Nick Jones

Offline nickj

Re: Dynamic diagrams
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 04:25 PM »
Just to update this, attached is a version I achieved from a Sankey Internet site, though I have lost which site it was, and do need local software for the application I have in mind.

Regards
Nick

Offline Jörn Zietz

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:33 AM »
Hi Nick,

as far as i can see the diagram structur of your two sample diagrams is exactly the same - only the values are different. If this is correct, this can be done easily with e!Sankey. I would draw a diagram which contains processes and arrows (with flows) for the data you can retrieve from your ERP system. Then I would create n Microsoft Excel workbook with the values from your ERP system and add Live Links to Excel cells in e!Sankey. Afterwards you can either change the values in your workbook manually or write a script which reads values from your ERP system and puts them to the concrete Excel cells.

If you have some parts or sections in your sankey diagram which should be hidden under special circumstances, you can set their flow values to '0' and check the two diagram options:

"Hide flows with quantity equal to zero" and
"Hide processes with flows equal to zero"

The checkboxes are located in the properties panel, if no element of the diagram is selected (e.g. after clicking at the diagram background).

So, I think you can draw all valid states in one diagram.

Unfortunatly in the current version of e!Sankey and e!Sankey SDK it is not possible to programmatically generate diagrams.

If you have any further questions please post a reply or send an e-mail to support@e-sankey.com.

Best regards
Jörn Zietz
Jörn Zietz
e!Sankey Team
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline nickj

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 08:38 PM »
So a 2nd apology, 2 copies of the diagram was not intentional.  Programmatic generation is what I really want but your comment "If you have some parts or sections in your sankey diagram which should be hidden under special circumstances, you can set their flow values to '0' and check the two diagram options ......." would make it possible to have a diagram which allows for routes from all areas to all areas & then routes which have zero 'weight' will disappear.  Not fully programmatic but pretty flexible !

Thanks for this.
Nick

Offline Jörn Zietz

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 10:22 AM »
Hi Nick,

ok, that's fine. If you will come across any question, please feel free to ask. It will be good, if you will attach the sankey diagram in case of a concrete problem. You can attach it to a reply in this post (it is visible for all users of this forum). If you send it to our support address, it is only visible for us and of course the diagram and all information and data will be treated confidentially.

Best regards,
Jörn
Jörn Zietz
e!Sankey Team
ifu Hamburg GmbH