Author Topic: [IMPLEMENTED] Colour gradient for flows  (Read 16282 times)

Offline chrjstone

[IMPLEMENTED] Colour gradient for flows
« on: May 29, 2012, 05:39 PM »
Hello, for the past 20 or so days I have been trying out e!Sankey on behalf of the University of Calgary Institute of Sustainable Energy, Environment, and Economy. I was just wondering if it would be possible to add some sort of colour gradient functionality to flows? For example, multiple sources (such as light/medium crude oil, heavy crude oil, oil sands etc.) would use the flow material "oil". Imagine this is black. It would be very useful to be able to change the colour at the start of the flow to different shades of black (or brown, or anything else), and then have the flows from these different oil sources join up together, but as black. We plan to make numerous Sankey diagrams representing past, present, and future Canadian energy statistics and have them available to the public on our website. I was just wondering if this was planned, or if it would be possible to add, as I feel it would greatly add to the visual aesthetic of the diagrams. Here is an example of what I mean, the light blue of the various sectors fades into the darker blue of the useful energy box:

http://www.sankey-diagrams.com/wp-content/gallery/o_gallery_200/nassankey.png

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 11:31 AM by pbeilschmidt »

Offline pbeilschmidt

• Administrator
  • e!Sankey - show the flow.
    • Umberto - know the flow.
Re: Colour gradient for flows
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 10:42 AM »
Dear chrjstone,

color gradients on the Sankey arrows have been suggested a couple of times already, and we will definitely be adding some kind of color gradient in e!Sankey sooner or later. No decision yet whether that will be in the next internediate version (3.x) or the next full version (4.0).

While it seems simple at first sight, the implementation itself turns out to be a little more complex if you consider (1) arrows branching off or merging in, as well as (2) stacked arrows (several flows on one arrows) and (3) moving/dragging the nodes around.

I will keep you posted on our plans and ideas regarding the color gradient. Feel free to post your thoughts here.

Peter

BTW: this feature request is tracked with ID 3172 in our system
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:48 AM by pbeilschmidt »
Peter Müller-Beilschmidt
e!Sankey Forum Moderator
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline Jörn Zietz

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:15 AM »
Dear chrjstone,

as member of the developing team of e!Sankey I would like to add another comment to this feature idea. I think it would be great to have gradients in flows. As a first step I see a linear gradient from start point to end point of an arrow. To make it clearer: Think of a piece of paper (DIN A4, letter size...) with a linear gradient on it - from one short side to the other. Now draw an arrow shape on it and cut it out. For many cases this will produce acceptable results and color changes from start color to end color e.g. if arrows does not contain additional bending points or pointed angles. But you can draw arrows which change from source color to destination color, then changing a bit to source color (if they "run back") and then finally to destination color. Making gradients look perfect in every constallation is highly complex because we had to render perfect gradients for each arrow segment and at the moment I am not sure how it can be done for pointed arrows.

Another question is how to configure the second color. I am not sure if it is a good idea to add a second color to every entry. Perhaps it is suitable to add an option 'draw gradient to destination process' (or from source process, or both) to arrows and use fill color of process as second color (even if it is marked as invisible). What do you think about such an realization?

Best regards,
Jörn
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:29 AM by Jörn Zietz »
Jörn Zietz
e!Sankey Team
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline chrjstone

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:47 PM »
Ah I see, I hadn't give in it much thought, but put that way I can see how it would be difficult to implement in a curving flow. Linear gradients would definitely be useful as a start. The diagrams I am working on are organized so that flow is always in one direction; as long as the curvature of a flow remains small it probably wouldn't be an issue to have a linear gradient. I realize the diagram I posted would have had some post-processing done (if it was even made in a program like e!Sankey in the first place), however we plan to make Sankey diagrams from historical data for the last 30 years (using LiveLink for the data), so having to do editing in Photoshop for every single one could get tedious. Any idea when the next update or this feature might be available?

Anyway, I really appreciate the fast replies. I am giving a presentation at the beginning of next week on displaying our data with Sankey diagrams. Using the LiveLink feature I made some sample diagrams that fade from one to the next, which looks great. My trial is up in 5 days and I think we will be purchasing some licenses. Thanks for your help!

Chris
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 06:04 PM by chrjstone »

Offline pbeilschmidt

• Administrator
  • e!Sankey - show the flow.
    • Umberto - know the flow.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:48 AM »
A color gradient as suggested by chrjstone has now been implemented and is available in e!Sankey 3.1.

If switched on in the Arrow properties for one (or more) arrow(s), the default colors used (i.e. the colors defined for the Entries) will be overridden. Instead, the fill color defined for the start process ("Gradient from Source") and/or the fill color defined for the destination process ("Gradient to Destination") will be used. The processes don't have to be visible and can be hidden.

See the screenshots attached for the effects that can be achieved.
Peter Müller-Beilschmidt
e!Sankey Forum Moderator
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline JohnnieFep

• hi
IMPLEMENTED Colour gradient for flows
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 05:49 AM »
Hi,

It wxould be great if we could use a layer as input for machining.
Then you can have all the drilling parts in one layer, all the pockets in another etc.

That way it is easier to automate the machining form an external dxf.

Thanks.