Author Topic: remove multiple arrows' waypoints; getting a list of arrows  (Read 1079 times)

Offline andrew

remove multiple arrows' waypoints; getting a list of arrows
« on: November 23, 2016, 08:15 PM »
Hi all,
Have seen some similar posts, and I apologize if I missed something that addresses this exactly:

I am experimenting with e!Sankey for a diagram with a) lots (~50) of intermediate/cycling flows, so there is not a dominant left-right or top-bottom flow, and b) large variations (factor of 1000) in flow masses, and hence large variations in arrow width.   

Point a) means, I think, that there will need to be lots of manual routing of arrows.  Not a problem, except that, point b) means that some arrows are quite narrow.  While editing, I have figured out I can adjust the lower flow threshold to be able to click on the arrows.  (When they are 1 or 2 pixels wide, it is nearly impossible.)

First of all, is there a way to get a list of all the arrows?  Clicking in the white space of the editor gives me a list of processes in the properties window.  I can't figure out how to do this for arrows.  (It may be possible in the pro version using live links?)

I made the mistake of doing a select all, choosing edit type = arrows from the properties window, and then playing with rounding and orthogonal options.  This added waypoints to my arrows.  I can go back through manually to remove them, but my mouse skills make this time-consuming.

Is there a way to multi-select arrows and get a right-click/context menu so I can, e.g., "Delete all points"?  I'm assuming this would be useful for other edit operations, too.  If I select all and then go to the edit type = arrow, I cannot do a right-click to get this menu.  If I  ctrl-click on a subset of arrows, I also cannot  get this menu. 

Thanks!

Offline pbeilschmidt

• Administrator
  • e!Sankey - show the flow.
    • Umberto - know the flow.
Re: remove multiple arrows' waypoints; getting a list of arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 02:26 PM »
Hello andrew,

wow, you seem to be doing some complex Sankey diagram...

First of all, is there a way to get a list of all the arrows?  Clicking in the white space of the editor gives me a list of processes in the properties window.  I can't figure out how to do this for arrows.  (It may be possible in the pro version using live links?)

No, such an arrow list is not available in the current version. If they are all fed by Live Links, you could export a list of Live Links and the arrows they are connected to from the 'Edit Live Link' window. But a function 'Export List of Arrows in Diagram' does not exist. I will note that as a user request and discuss with my team whether that would be an attractive feature for a future version.

BTW, I experimented a bit with the 'Search' feature. I entered 'kg' in the search field and it acutally brought up all my arrows. But this was only because I am using kust mass flows in all arrows that have a label with the unit 'kg' ... so no actual solution. And this search results list can not be exported either.

I made the mistake of doing a select all, choosing edit type = arrows from the properties window, and then playing with rounding and orthogonal options.  This added waypoints to my arrows.  I can go back through manually to remove them, but my mouse skills make this time-consuming.

Is there a way to multi-select arrows and get a right-click/context menu so I can, e.g., "Delete all points"?  I'm assuming this would be useful for other edit operations, too.  If I select all and then go to the edit type = arrow, I cannot do a right-click to get this menu.  If I  ctrl-click on a subset of arrows, I also cannot  get this menu. 

Yes, the 'Orthogonal' arrow routing option will add two waypoints on the arrow, and force the arrow to only have 90° bends. Unchecking this option will not remove the added waypoints. The only possibility would be that you hit 'Undo' right away, and return to the previous arrow routing. I am afraid, this advice comes a little late now, as you have probably already saved your diagram and closed your session.

It is true that the context menu of an arrow does not offer the 'Delete all Points' command when you select more than one arrow. Yeah, that would have been a great solution for stripping all inserted waypoints on all arrows.

We'll think about how we can improve the handling for this. Sorry to not be able to offer a good solution at present.
Peter Müller-Beilschmidt
e!Sankey Forum Moderator
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline andrew

Re: remove multiple arrows' waypoints; getting a list of arrows
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 06:09 AM »
Hi Peter,
Thanks very much for your answers.  I know that no tool is perfect, but this software is certainly helping address some complex systems.
Cheers,
Andrew