Author Topic: Export option - Vector based PDF file  (Read 907 times)

Offline Flourishing

Export option - Vector based PDF file
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:16 PM »
Hello,

Is there an option in esankey to export the images to vector based pdf?

Thank you

Offline pbeilschmidt

• Administrator
  • e!Sankey - show the flow.
    • Umberto - know the flow.
Re: Export option - Vector based PDF file
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 11:41 AM »
Hi Flourishing,

the PDF export included in e!Sankey produces only a raster PDF, however, I find the quality sufficient for most of my needs when using a 400% zoom setting and a 600 dpi resolution.

I understand vectorized PDF has a better quality, e.g. when printing a Sankey diagram on a A0 poster format. How are you planning to use the PDF?

Peter
Peter Müller-Beilschmidt
e!Sankey Forum Moderator
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline Flourishing

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 04:33 PM »
Thanks Peter.

It looks like the graphic designers could modify the background and colors if the pdf is in vector based, so that they could use it in illustrator. I was able to resolve it by using printing option rather than export option.

Could you be able to help me on changing background colors?

Regards
Mouli

Offline pbeilschmidt

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 10:28 AM »
The color of the background (the "drawing area") can be set in the diagram options. Just click in an empty space in the diagram, then choose the color seelction dialog at the bottom of the properties panel.
Peter Müller-Beilschmidt
e!Sankey Forum Moderator
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline Flourishing

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 01:47 PM »
Thanks Peter, appreciate it.

It would be greatly helpful if you explain me how to create a template file with basic things like, background color, font size, process box color, etc fixed matching to my company needs. And I could call this template for every new diagram I create.

Offline pbeilschmidt

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 08:21 AM »
Hi Flourishing,

a template for Sankey diagrams is a good idea if you wish to produce similar diagram layouts repeatedly. In the templates you can prepare entries with their colors, unit types and units, process shapes (color and layout), arrow options and graphical elements (such as your company logo).

Simply prepare your diagram style the way you like it. Then use 'Save As', but rather than saving the diagram as a .sankey file, save it as .santem file (Sankey template file). You will have to enter a file name, and subsequently a name for the template. This is how you later choose your template, e.g. "My Preferred Style". Note that it is not required to actually save visible diagram elements: you can do the settings, then delete all arrows and nodes, before saving to a template file. Pretty much like with a Word template, where you don't need text, but just set your styles...

If you save the .santem file in the default template folder (C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\e!Sankey\<VERSION>\templates) it will be listed with its name in the "New Diagram" section at the top left immediately.
If you set the diagram as the default template by setting the path in the options dialog it will be shown in bold at the first position in the "New Diagram" template list. See screenshot below.

Template files are also described in the e!Sankey User Manual (via Menu Help).
Peter Müller-Beilschmidt
e!Sankey Forum Moderator
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline Flourishing

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 04:37 PM »
Thanks Peter.

Is there 'Format Painter' in esankey, as in Microsoft word or PPT, etc. ?

Offline pbeilschmidt

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 07:37 AM »
Something similar is available in the context menu of the arrow and the process: you can choose to "Set as Default' the settings (color, size, other properties) of the element. For example, if you decide to draw the arrows without border line, without arrow head, and without rounded curves, select "Set as Default" in the arrows's context menu. All other arrows you draw have these settings.

I think the Microsoft 'Format Painter' is for a one time use, and then reverts to the original style. In e!Sankey "Set as Default" will stay until you choose other settings. It can also not be applied to existing elements retroactively.
Peter Müller-Beilschmidt
e!Sankey Forum Moderator
ifu Hamburg GmbH