Author Topic: Arrow orientation into process boxes  (Read 10266 times)

Offline alexjja

Arrow orientation into process boxes
« on: September 23, 2008, 05:40 AM »
I am trying to force arrow entries to appear at the top of the child process boxes when inside the imaginary 45° line from the parent process (normally this defaults to left/right entry). I've read the help file which describes the behaviour.

However in the tutorial example "Heat Stove (India)", the child processes all have up/down arrow entries, in fact they appear to be forced, despite where you move the process, also the settings under process>properties>arrows>Connectivity: = free?.

How is the arrow behaviour forced in this way?

Thanks

Alex

Offline Jörn Zietz

• Administrator
Re: Arrow orientation into process boxes
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 02:01 PM »
Hi Alex,

there are some ways to change or fix the direction of arrows from/to processes:

In process property panel there is a drop down list with possible values for connectivity. If you would like to have straight flows through processes, this is a very simple way to set the flow direction.

If you select 'Free' for connectivity the side of the process the arrow connects to is determined in a simple way. After adding an arrow it just contains two selection points on the stroke/line (filled in yellow, we call them "sankey points"). In this case imagine a straight line which connects the two center points of the start and end process. The line intersects with the process sides. These sides are chosen for the arrow between the two processes.
If you add additional points to an arrow via command in the context menu (which are filled in gray for a selected arrow), the side is determined by center of a process and the nearest additional point.

In the sample diagram "Heat Loss Stove India" the invisible destination processes have a very small height. So the center of a process is very near to the top and bottom line of the process rectangle. This increases the angle for this sides.

I hope this explanation will help you to layout sankey diagrams the way you would like them to be. If you have any question or comment, please post again.

Best regards,
Jörn Zietz
Jörn Zietz
e!Sankey Team
ifu Hamburg GmbH