Author Topic: features proposal  (Read 6918 times)

Offline rooocs

features proposal
« on: February 01, 2008, 02:11 PM »
Hi everybody,

Here I want to propose some features requests. Simple but I guess useful.

Text box for example. It would be nice to have the chance to rotate text and diversify fonts within the same text box. Moreover apex and others dynamics text features would be useful.

Also for narrows I guess something more should be done: design, texture, fill-in themes, shadows. Possibility to create different kind of narrows like dotted, lined etc..I think narrows are quiete static in that way.

From my point of view, It would be useful to have the opportunity to create the LEGEND based on colours you're using. For complex flows, I always have too many entries that means a huge list of elements in the lengend. For instance, colours are quite always the same and rapresentative for each source/figure or whatever.

The real turning point will be with the Excel linked sheets. As a lot of people said, it will be nice. I expect it really useful!

Anyhow, if some of the features I proposed are already available in the actual updated e!Sankey version, please let me know how to use it. I'm a quite new user, so it should be that I don't know all the potential of the software.

Thanks to all!

Offline pbeilschmidt

• Administrator
  • e!Sankey - show the flow.
    • e!Sankey - show the flow.
Re: features proposal
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 12:07 PM »
Hello roocs,

thank you for your useful feature suggestions. We know that we can improve the quality of the Sankey diagrams in e!Sankey significantly, and sometimes even small features might bring a great improvement. 

Text box for example. It would be nice to have the chance to rotate text and diversify fonts within the same text box. Moreover apex and others dynamics text features would be useful.

Yes, I agree! Different text editing for text and label elements would be nice. Rotate (90° and 180° left/right) makes sense when you want to put the arrow labels parallel to the Sankey arrow.

What exactly do you mean by "apex and other dynamic text features" ??

Also for narrows I guess something more should be done: design, texture, fill-in themes, shadows. Possibility to create different kind of narrows like dotted, lined etc..I think narrows are quiete static in that way.

As for Sankey arrows and lines, we will look into providing more possibilities in the future.

From my point of view, It would be useful to have the opportunity to create the LEGEND based on colours you're using. For complex flows, I always have too many entries that means a huge list of elements in the lengend. For instance, colours are quite always the same and rapresentative for each source/figure or whatever.

That is indeed an interesting suggestion. Right now, the legend is shown for all flows that have been added. So, one would want to pick some specific flows, and only those should be displayed in the legend. I have added you request in our tracking tool.

The real turning point will be with the Excel linked sheets. As a lot of people said, it will be nice. I expect it really useful!

I have seen the first implementation of the dynamic Excel link feature (currently under development here), and it really looks fine! It is currently being streamlined, and just needs some further testing and documentation. It will definitely be the top feature in the new e!Sankey 2.0...
Peter
e!Sankey Forum Moderator
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline rooocs

Re: features proposal
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 03:29 PM »
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

What exactly do you mean by "apex and other dynamic text features" ??

I was refering to the text 'effects': superscript, subscript and so on. These two particularly contributs to make diagrams more scientific for some formulas and chemical elements.

Thanks for your attention.
I'll write here again if some useful improvement comes up to my mind.