Author Topic: Percentage > 100%  (Read 3462 times)

Offline b.becker

• WVE GmbH Kaiserslautern
Percentage > 100%
« on: August 12, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Hi Peter and team!
After a long time i'm glad to working again with e!Sankey ... and now I'm wondering if I forgot how to use it properly or if there is little bug ...  ;)

In the attached model I want tho show the percentage of the energy flows in the model. In the label options / percentage I have choosen "model" instead of "arrow" in every arrow. But now the percentage shown in the model is quite more than 100 %.....
(All used materials are energy flows.)

Is this a bug or an "unqualified user error"?  ::)

kind regards
Björn

Offline pbeilschmidt

• Administrator
  • e!Sankey - show the flow.
    • e!Sankey - show the flow.
Re: Percentage > 100%
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 10:39 AM »
Hi Björn,

good to see you back in the community as an active e!Sankey user...

The percentage label can be used in two different ways: You can use the option "Arrow" if you wish to show the composition of different flows within one arrow (their contribution to the overall quantity). This obviously only works for flows with the same unit type in one arrow. The flows add up to 100%.

The other option ("Model") searches for the largest flow of the unit type and sets it to 100%. Percentges of all other flows of the same unit type are determined in relation to these 100%. This, of course only makes sense if you don't mix unit types, and if you trace a flow of the same material through the diagram. Should you add a flow of another material in an arrow, its quantity will bluntly be shown as percentage in relation to the 100% largest flow in the model. There is no "inside" knowledge as to whether two flows are of the same material, and e!Sankey can not check plausibility if the sum of all flows add up to 100%.

So, in short: percentage labels can only be used in some diagram types (material tracing, flow breakdown), and require the user to check carefully whether it makes sense to switch on the percentage labels for some flows.

Hope this helped.

Peter
Peter
e!Sankey Forum Moderator
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline b.becker

• WVE GmbH Kaiserslautern
Re: Percentage > 100%
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 12:18 PM »
Hi!
Thanks, helped a lot!

Now I solved the problem by creating a second hidden process, in the first flow I have all materials in one flow and so the option "arrow" shows the right percentage...