Author Topic: Arrow order  (Read 4383 times)

Offline EnvCon

Arrow order
« on: February 09, 2015, 04:10 PM »
Hi there,

I'm wondering if there is any way to control the order that arrows enter and exit processes?

I have a sankey diagram, where in several of the arrows are not entering/exiting processes in what I would consider the most rational way, causing arrows to cross over one another without reason. I have attached a screenshot showing the issue that I am referencing. The red circles indicate areas where the arrows have vertically ordered themselves differently than I would like, and I have not been able to figure out how to change the order.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Jörn Zietz

• Administrator
Re: Arrow order
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 10:19 AM »
Hi EnvCon,

I guess you have activated 'Orthogonal' of the arrows. This makes it difficult in some constellations to change stacking order of arrows. Please select all diagram elements with CTRL + A, select type 'Arrows' at the top of the properties panel and deactivate 'Orthogonal'. Afterwards you should remove the grey additional bending points of the arrows and try to make the arrows orthogonal by moving the yellow points away from the processes. Only in some cases you will need to insert grey bending points to choose the path of an arrow. The advantage of using yellow points is that it is very easy to build up a diagram that is still well layouted even if you change flow values.

The option 'Orthogonal' is very helpful, when you are going to draw a simple diagram with orhogonal arrows. If you want to have a dedicated layout or need to change the arrow rounting it may get a little extensive.

For any further question please post again.

--
Best regards,
Jörn Zietz
Jörn Zietz
e!Sankey Team
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline EnvCon

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:46 AM »
Thanks for your help.

I managed to achieve the behaviour I was looking for by adjusting the properties of the start and end processes.

In the 'Arrow' section of the process 'Properties' pane, I changed the stacking option to 'Sort by ZOrder' - this allowed me to move arrows forward/backward as necessary until they were stacked appropriately.

Offline Jörn Zietz

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 01:32 PM »
Nice to hear that you got layout fixed.

Did you deactivate Orthogonal as suggested? And 'Sort by Angle' alone did not solve the problem?

Just out of curiosity is it possible that you post another screenshot of you diagram? If possible a screenshot with all diagram selected (so that arrow points are visible).

--
Best regards,
Jörn Zietz
Jörn Zietz
e!Sankey Team
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline EnvCon

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 02:04 PM »
Hi Jorn,

I did not deactivate Orthogonal. Changing 'Sort by Angle' to 'Sort by ZOrder' and then moving my arrows forward/backward as necessary fixed the problem

I've attached another screenshot of my diagram with all selected.

It's probably worth noting that after selecting all, I was not able to select 'Arrows' from the properties panel to deactivate Orthogonal for all of my arrows - no such option was available - in fact, the properties panel is entirely blank when I press CTRL+A to select all. I am using e!Sankey Pro 2.5, so perhaps this is the reason. I have noticed that even if I select more than one element manually (arrows, processes, text boxes, etc.) I am not able to change the properties of all of those selected.

e.g. If I hold CTRL and select 2 arrows, then toggle the box for 'Rounded', the 'rounded' property only activates/deactivates for one of the arrows selected. The same behaviour is displayed for all other properties (text formatting, line color, etc.)

Offline Jörn Zietz

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 05:17 PM »
Hi EnvCon,

thank you for the screenshot. You are right multiselection (with combobox for type arrow, process...) was invented with e!Sankey 3. And there is no difference between selecting diagram elements with CTRL + A or by clicking the arrow indiviually (with pressed CTRL). So in e!Sankey 2.5 it is only possible to deactivate 'Orthogonal' and all other properties one after another.

If you want to have a look at e!Sankey 3.2 you can use it 14 days for free as trial version. You just need to register on http://www.e-sankey.com/en/download/
Before opening one of your diagrams in the trial version you should make a copy of your diagram folder. When you open a diagram with e!Sankey 3 trial you get a message that the Sankey diagram will be updated to e!Sankey 3 file structure. If you accidently override your diagrams, it can not be opened with e!Sankey 2.5 again - if you do not want to update to e!Sankey 3.

Best regards,
Jörn Zietz
Jörn Zietz
e!Sankey Team
ifu Hamburg GmbH