Author Topic: Keyboard shortcut  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Ashok

Keyboard shortcut
« on: January 06, 2021, 02:39 AM »
Hi
Is there a keyboard shortcut for bringing the flow entry window?

As soon as i draw an arrow between two processes using a mouse i have to reach and click the insert entry in arrow. If i need to draw some 100+ process flows it would save some time if i can quickly do it using a keyboard shortcut instead of clicking and bringing the flow window.
Any help would be appreciated ..

regards
Ashok

Offline pbeilschmidt

• Administrator
  • e!Sankey - show the flow.
Re: Keyboard shortcut
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 08:56 AM »
Hi Ashok,

great question. Is it really just a shortcut to bring one window into focus?
I guess what you are actually looking for is not solely a keyboard shortcut to bring the Entries window into focus, but also to control the actual 'Insert Entry' action via keyboard.

For those forum readers that are not into this particular action, let me elaborate a little bit: After setting processes, and drawing arrows between them (i.e. building the 'naked' diagram structure), the next step is to insert items from a list of entries (the 'Entries' window you mention) into/onto the arrow(s) and define a quantity for it, in order to indicate the actual flow.

There are several ways to do this inserting:
(1) simply drag an entry from the 'Entries' window onto an arrow (drag&drop). That is the most convenient way to insert flows...
(2) the other way is to select the target arrow by clicking it, then drag the entries onto the 'Flows' table in the Arrow properties panel on the left side.
(3) Finally, you can mark an arrow in the diagram and select an entry in the 'Entries' window, then click on the button 'Insert Entries into Arrow(s)'.

In addition, I think it depends on the number of flows you are inserting in one insert action, and on the number of target arrows. There are four cases
(a) 1:1 - select one entry, enter as flow into one arrow
(b) 1:m - select one entry, enter as flow into multiple arrows
(c) n:1 - select multiple entries, enter them as flows into one arrow
(d) m:n - select multiple entries, enter them as flows into multiple arrows

It depends on your case (a) to (d) which of the above ways of inserting (1) to (3) can be used. For example, if you want to use one entry only (b), you obviously can't drag&drop it in one go onto multiple target arrows.

Now, Ashok, from what you describe I have the impression you are inserting entries into multiple arrows. Not sure whether this is always the same entry, different entries for each arrow, or if you are selecting several different entries for each arrow.

If I have to insert one or more flows into several arrows, I typically use the option (3) above. I mark several target  arrows in the diagram either by selecting them one after another, or simply by pulling a marker rectangle around the diagram section, then I choose the flow(s) in the 'Entries' window and hit the button 'Insert Entries into Arrow(s)'. Still, I then have to revisit each flow and enter a flow quantity, so I could also loop through dragging&dropping the entry onto the arrow and directly entering the flow quantity (2).

I understand that you are looking for a keyboard shortcut, maybe one that repeats the last insert action. I'll think about it and also have a look at best-practice examples for such a task in other programs. Maybe other users have suggestions on this?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 09:00 AM by pbeilschmidt »
Peter
e!Sankey Forum Moderator
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline Ashok

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 04:40 PM »
Hi
Thanks for the reply. I was looking for an actual 'Insert Entry' action via keyboard. The scenario would be one entry, multiple arrows (say for example 10 arrows) and each having different values. So in this case i have to click insert entry/value ten times with the mouse.
So what am expecting is : I create a skeleton arrow using mouse --> do a quick keyboard shortcut and enter the value --> press another key to "complete" the arrow.
Eventhough it is very few seconds lesser than using my mouse fully for the above operation it matters when i need to do this for ~100 arrows.
What do you think?

regards
Ashok

Offline pbeilschmidt

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 12:24 PM »
Hi Ashok,

just, wondering if you are doing this in e!Sankey 5 or an older version?

In e!Sankey 5: if one entry has to be inserted into 10 arrows, it is just one click on the 'Insert Entries' button. Simply select all 10 arrows (keep CTRL key pressed for multi-selection), then select one or more entries in the 'Entries' window (selection of arrows will be maintained), and then hit the 'Insert Entries' button.

Also, the 'Insert Entries' button has the shortcut CTRL+L.

But I still see a potential for improvement there... because your selected flows will loose the focus, if you do something else in the application, and the return to inserting entries. In this case the shortcut CTRL+L won't work, because it has "forgotten" the last selected entry in the list. So if you repeatedly wish to insert the same entry - let's say for example "electricity') over a period of time, but in the meantime also draw new arrows... then you have to click again on the entry to mark it, before being able to insert it using CTRL+L.

I'll see whether we can come up with an improvement for this...

Thanks for bringing up feature requests driven from your intensive work with e!Sankey.

Peter
Peter
e!Sankey Forum Moderator
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline Ashok

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 02:09 AM »
Hello sir.
Thanks for patiently answering my queries.. sorry if am troubling you more..

The version am using is 3.2.2
Your reply that it is just one click on the 'Insert Entries' button. Simply select all 10 arrows (keep CTRL key pressed for multi-selection), then select one or more entries in the 'Entries' window (selection of arrows will be maintained), and then hit the 'Insert Entries' button. -- but i already mentioned that each arrow has a different value so this wont work i guess.

Also Ctrl + L did not work for me.

Thanks again for your patience.

regards
Ashok

Offline pbeilschmidt

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 08:47 AM »
Hi Ashok,

apparently the keyboard shortcut CTRL+L was introduced since 2013/14... so you don't have it in e!Sankey 3. Also. the insert into multiple arrows was not available in this older version.

Still, even with the newest version e!Sankey 5.1 you would still have to first insert the flow, and then (for each flow) enter the quantity. I think an automatism wouldn't really work well in this situation, because flow quantities most likely are different in each arrow. 
Peter
e!Sankey Forum Moderator
ifu Hamburg GmbH